Your hair is your crowning glory. That being said, it is easy to understand why most of us are afraid of hair loss. Both in the case of men and women, a lot of us surely fear losing hair, especially as a sign of aging. Fortunately, with the best hair growth products for men and women, such a problem that be easy to avoid.
If you need help in saving your hair from an eventual disaster, you came to the right place. This is a comprehensive guide that is written to educate you not only about the products that are available on the market, but also the reasons behind hair loss. Age is not the only thing to be blamed, as you will learn later on.
What is Hair Loss?
Scientifically, hair loss is known as alopecia. It is one thing that is common for people who are aging, but as it will be discussed later on, there are other culprits for such health condition.
In humans, hair can grow in all parts of the body, except on the soles of your feet and palms of your hands. In the case of most average adults, the head is made of up to 150,000 strands of hair. However, on average, 100 strands are lost daily. The number of hair thins over time and hair growth goes at a slower rate when a person ages.
Most people might think that hair loss only leads to changes in physical appearance. However, there are also emotional impacts, which can be severe. A lot of people suffering from hair loss can also suffer from loss of their self-confidence. For this reason, it is important to identify the cause of the problem and take advantage of the best solutions that are available.
Hair loss or alopecia can be classified as follows:
- Involutional Alopecia: This is one thing that occurs naturally in all humans, which is the thinning of hair that results from aging. Hair follicles can either go to the resting stage. They can be fewer and shorter, and hence, hair loss will be apparent.
- Androgenic Alopecia: This kind of hair loss is because of a genetic condition. It is called male or female pattern baldness, depending on the gender of the person who has it. One of the first symptoms of such would be receding hairline.
- Alopecia Areata: With this condition, you will suffer from having bald patches, which is usually the size of a coin. More often than not, it will start on the scalp, although it also occurs in the other parts of the body.
- Alopecia Universalis: This leads to the falling out of body hair, including eyelashes, eyebrows, and pubic hair.
- Trichotillomania: This is common in children. This is a psychological disorder wherein a person pulls hair, which leads to hair loss.
- Telogen Effluvium: There is a temporary thinning of hair in the scalp through its growth. Most of the time, your hair will be thin, but it seems like you have not lost them at all.
- Scarring Alopecia: This is also called cicatricial alopecia, which completely destroys the hair follicle.
What are the Causes of Hair Loss?
Now that you have a primer knowledge of hair loss and its different types, let me introduce you to the most common causes of hair loss in both men and women:
- Age: When you get older, hair growth tends to slow down. Your hair will inevitably be thinner, shorter, and fewer.
- Hormones: Bodily hormones, especially androgens, can also be the culprit for hair loss. An imbalance of male and female sex hormones is a leading cause of the problem.
- Genetics: Hair loss is a condition that runs in the blood. If you have a family history of hair loss, you should be more proactive as you are a likely candidate.
- Stress: Many would agree that stress is the top killer these days, and this will hold true even in the case of killing your hair.
- Chemotherapy: Those who undergo chemotherapy will be exposed to high levels of radiation, and one of the most common side effects of this is hair loss.
- Drugs: There are certain medications that can also have hair loss as a side effect, especially those that are used as blood thinners, birth control pills, and meds for hypertension.
- Diet: You also have to watch what you eat since your food consumption affects hair health. Iron and protein are two of the most important minerals to prevent hair loss.
- Medical Conditions: Some of the health problems that can speed up weight loss include anemia, lupus, diabetes, thyroid diseases, and iron deficiency.
- Ringworm: The presence of ringworm in the scalp will also lead to hair loss. This is a common occurrence for those who do not practice proper hygiene, especially for children.
- Hair Products: Shampoos, conditioners, and hair styling products can contain ingredients that can also make you suffer from weight loss. Most of them can contain toxic chemicals that affect the natural composition of the hair.
How to Find the Right Hair Loss Cure?
Regardless of the extent or the cause of the problem, there are several solutions that are promising in terms of effectiveness. Nonetheless, this does not mean that you should choose just any method. You need to proceed carefully to determine which one is most suitable for your situation.
The first thing that you should do is to gauge the problem. Are you suffering from hair loss or hair fall? Is it just an occasional case of falling hair or does it happen often? Is the problem already too serious that it is a cause of major concern?
Meanwhile, if you want to be sure and confident, one of the best things that can be done is to have a hair analysis done by an experienced professional. In this case, the doctor will take out a sample of your hair and have it tested under the microscope. Your scalp can also be examined for proper diagnosis.
Another medical procedure that will help is to have your blood tested. You will be examined for specific conditions that can cause hair loss. Your family history and lifestyle, among others, will also be looked at.
Once these tests are performed, the exact cause of hair loss can be pinpointed. From here, it will be easier to find the most suitable cure for the problem.
When choosing an approach to treat hair loss, one must be cautious. For instance, you have to take a look at the ingredients that are used and make sure that they will not be toxic in any way. Otherwise, it can only make the problem worse. Also, read reviews and ask around to see what works for most people, which will most probably work in your situation as well.
Best Ways to Prevent and Treat Hair Loss
In the main section of this guide, let us look at some of the options that can be taken into account, as well as a few of the top-rated products that can be effective in addressing the problem.
To find the right treatment option for you, there are several factors that have to be taken into account. For instance, your budget is one of the main factors that will help in choosing which treatment option is the best. Also, you have to learn from the real-life experiences of other people to determine the effectiveness of different methods that are available.
Before we proceed, it is important to note that choosing and using any of the hair loss products will not be enough. For the most favorable outcomes, you also need to have a proactive approach to taking care of your hair. Regular haircut is necessary to encourage healthy regrowth. Also, avoid products that contain harsh ingredients or toxic chemicals.
Hair Growth Pills
There are tons of vitamins and supplements that promise to contain ingredients that are effective for the treatment of hair loss. They contain ingredients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Biotin, which are claimed to be effective in improving the overall health of the hair and combatting hair loss. They can make your hair thicker and fuller.
- Especially if the pills contain biotin, aside from thicker hair, it can also help in the reduction of nail brittleness and improvement of digestion, among other things.
- Most of the pills that you can find on the market are also known for their affordable price, making it an economical alternative in the treatment and prevention of hair loss.
- Depending on individual conditions, it is possible that users can suffer from side effects and allergies. Skin irritation and acne are some of the most common.
- The ingredients of different pills can have an interaction with some medications.
This is one of the best pills that you can take to fight hair loss. It has a professional formula that is capable of supporting the natural growth of hair. It is made in the USA, in a manufacturing facility that is FDA-certified, providing you with the confidence that it will be effective.
To add, Foligen also uses only natural ingredients and extracts. The effectiveness of the latter has been investigated in different studies in the past.
One of the main ingredients of Foligen is Biotin, also known as Vitamin B7. This vitamin is water-soluble, and it maintains not only the hair but also skin, nerves, and digestive system, among others.
Sports Research High Potency Biotin
This 5,000 mcg Biotin supplement is another product that is effective for hair loss. The soft-gels are made from cold-pressed organic coconut oil. Because it is organic, there is no need to be worried about adverse side effects.
While hair health is the main effect of taking this supplement, because it contains biotin, it will also be effective in the metabolism of amino acids and the promotion of cell growth.
The manufacturer is also offering a 90-day money-back guarantee, which can provide you with peace of mind.
Hair Growth Shampoos
For shampoos to be effective in fighting hair loss, you need to take a look at the ingredients that are used. Among others, one of the essentials would be ketoconazole, which is known for the treatment of dandruff. Shampoos with minoxidil can also work against hair loss. As much as possible, look for shampoos that make use of natural and organic ingredients.
- Shampoos are great because they are easy to use. Just apply them when taking a shower like a normal shampoo.
- Unlike in the case of pills, it is uncommon to suffer from adverse side effects because of a shampoo.
- The results can be quite slow compared to the use of other methods. It might take a few weeks or months before the effectiveness can be evident.
Pura D’or Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo
This DHT-blocking shampoo is one of the most effective products that should definitely be part of your list of choices. Based on the details provided by the manufacturer, the product contains as much as 15 DHT blockers to deliver the highest level of effectiveness.
Aside from blocking DHT, there are also plant-based ingredients, unlike other shampoos that are possibly laden with harsh chemicals that can make the problem worse instead of reversing hair loss.
The organic extracts that are found in this shampoo work by invigorating the scalp, helping to address the problem from its roots. It makes the hair stronger, and hence, less prone to breakage.
Art Naturals Organic Argan Oil Shampoo
With this shampoo, which is made of organic argan oil, the hair follicles will be revitalized. It is going to make the scalp healthier and will trigger the growth of thicker hair while making it less prone to breakage.
Aside from argan oil, other organic ingredients that are used in this shampoo include white willow bark, aloe vera, thyme, rosemary, and burdock root.
Aside from having organic ingredients, it should also be pointed out that it contains DHT blockers to improve its effectiveness.
Laser Hair Growth Devices
These are some of the most advanced products that will help in combatting hair loss. They make use of low-level light therapy to stimulate the regrowth of hair, both in men and women.
Laser devices come in many forms, each promising to be effective. The most recent are those that exist in the form of laser combs and helmets. There is no need to be worried as the light intensity of these devices will not cause the hair and scalp to burn.
- Painless: When you hear of laser treatment, you might instantly think of pain. The good news is that there is no pain and discomfort that is associated in any way with its use.
- Can be Used at Home: Laser devices might look complicated at first, but they are actually designed for home use in the absence of professional intervention.
- Many of the laser devices for hair loss are expensive, making it an option that is not financially-viable for most users.
iRestore Laser Regrowth System
This laser helmet is an innovative device that is FDA-cleared, which can provide you with an assurance that it will be safe to use. To make you more confident, it also helps to know that it has been a subject of a 4-month clinical study. The results of the latter indicated that it is indeed effective in growing hair.
With the use of this device, the results can be visible in as short as three to six months. If no results are visible within six months, return the product and the manufacturer will issue an unconditional refund.
iGrow LED Light Therapy Hair Regrowth Rejuvenation System
With this device, light therapy is used to stimulate the growth of hair. The treatment is fast, effective, and painless. It has been a subject of two different clinical studies, both of them have results that are favorable to the product.
The design of the product is one thing that is notable. It delivers the highest level of comfort to the user, which is possible because of the customizable headphones for entertainment while the session is on-going.
Other Products for Hair Loss
Aside from those that have been mentioned above, here are other solutions that are equally promising in terms of the effectiveness that they can deliver.
There are some conditioners that can be partly attributed to the hair loss that you are experiencing. To add, there are also some that can help to address the problem, especially those that contain natural and organic ingredients that promote healthier scalp and hair.
For the highest level of effectiveness, the use of hair growth conditioners should be done with a shampoo that is also effective in addressing the issue. Look for those that contain minoxidil, keratin, amino acids, and hyaluronic acid, among other key ingredients.
Pura D’or Healing Conditioner Lavender Vanilla Shine
This green conditioner is made from 99% plant-based ingredients, which can already provide you with enough reason to have it chosen above other products. It uses lavender oil, argan oil, and vanilla extracts, among other ingredients that have been clinically-proven to improve the health of your hair and prevent hair loss.
It is also worth noting that it is made in a facility that is solar-powered, which shows the commitment of the manufacturer in making products that are eco-friendly.
There are also many essential oils that can promise to be effective in hair loss. They do not only give the hair a natural shine and beauty, but they also trigger the growth while also nourishing the hair to become healthy.
The high concentration of flavor and fragrance in essential oils are the ones that are responsible for their high level of effectiveness. While there are many oils that hold a lot of promise, some of the best include jojoba, castor, aloe vera, thyme, lavender, rosemary, green tea, and coconut.
Natural Riches Organic Castor Oil
This oil is 100% organic, which means that you can expect it to be free from harsh chemicals that can possibly cause irritation and other unwanted side effects. It is made with the use of only premium castor seeds, which have been carefully-selected to be assured that they have the highest quality.
While it can be used for hair loss, it can be beneficial in more ways than one. It also helps in healing dry skin and in moisturizing dry scalp.
Like other hair care products, serum helps in nourishing each strand from the hair to the tip. It makes the hair stronger, and hence, the user will be less prone to hair fall and hair loss. More than this, it also leaves the hair a healthy shine that makes it look more beautiful.
Amplixin Intensive Hair Growth Serum
Biotin and caffeine are two of the main ingredients that you can find in this serum, which are also mainly the ones that are responsible for triggering hair growth and preventing hair loss. It soothes the scalp and makes the hair healthier. Other ingredients that make this possible include aloe vera and calendula.
To use this serum, all that you have to do is to apply the serum on your hair after a shower. It has a nourishing and protective formula that will keep dirt and environmental pollutants away from the hair.
In sum, hair loss is one thing that most of us will face at one point or another. For some people, this can be a natural sign of aging. For others, this could be a hereditary problem or can result from stress. There are also medications and health problems that can lead to hair loss.
Regardless of the cause of hair loss in both men and women, the good news is that there is an abundance of solutions that hold a lot of promise. Whether it is shampoo, conditioner, oils, serum, laser devices, and pills, among others, there is a long list of alternatives that can be possibly taken into account.